Sunday, July 5, 2009

Woodpecker & Chipmunk

Greeted by Woodpecker and Chipmunk

While sitting in the nature hut during my walk yesterday at Wave Hill, I was warmly greeted by Woodpecker and Chipmunk. Chipmunk was scurrying in the underbrush of a wooded trail, and I clearly saw his activity from a short distance. Living in a big city, chipmunk sightings, as well as woodpecker, are not common unless you head for the country so to speak. I not only saw one little chipmunk but two, and they are the cutest little things! Not too long after that, I heard a pecking sound and turned to my left to see Woodpecker in action. Again, seeing a woodpecker is rare because I live in the city. Wave Hill, located in north Riverdale west of the Henry Hudson Parkway, is close to country as you can get around this part of town. I figured there were symbolic reasons for encountering Woodpecker and Chipmunk so I researched online to see if there were messages meant for me. According to one website - http://www.animalspirits.com/ - Chipmunk and Woodpecker had PLENTY to say.

Chipmunk:
* Gathering
* Ability to regulate usage
* Saving for future use
* Ability to carry ones nourishment (both spiritual and physical) with them
* Ability to see both light and shadow
* Mobility
* Cuteness

Woodpecker:
* Connection to the earth
* Ability to find hidden layers
* Understands rhythms, cycles and patterns
* Warnings
* Prophecy
* Associated with thunder
* The Earth's drummer
* Pecks away at deception until the truth is revealed

Pretty symbolic, I must say. Chipmunk's "saving for future use" meant paying attention to financial reserves. I suck at saving money…at least I admit it; now it's just a matter of changing how I see money flow so I'm able to put away as well as spend comfortably within my means. Woodpecker demonstrated my spiritual path, especially the part about prophecy. I've been having strange visions lately as well as a need to write between 03:30 and 05:00. Guess what? The time is 06:11 in the morning and I am writing.

I wonder what animal guides I'll run into during my next trip to Wave Hill. Thank you, Woodpecker and Chipmunk for your enlightenment.